CLE RECORDED PROGRAMS
Search for these program titles at www.nysba.org:
- Nine Essential Planning Documents (November 15, 2016) recorded CLE program
- Out the Door Not Over the Hill (2008)
- Closing or Selling a Law Practice (2005) recorded CLE program
- Closing or Selling a Law Practice (2005) online CLE
- The Ins and Outs of the New Power of Attorney Statute (October 2009) recorded webinar CLE
- The New Power-of-Attorney Form - What You Need to Know (August 2009) recorded webinar CLE
- Help Clients Find You: Simple Tools to Improve Your Web Presence (August 2009) recorded webinar CLE
- Twittering, Linking, Posting and Friending: Legal Implications of Social Networking (June 2009) recorded webinar CLE
- Practice Management and the New Rules of Professional Conduct (June 2009) recorded webinar CLE
- Practice Before the Veterans Administration (April/May 2009) recorded webinar CLE
- Internet Marketing for Law Firms: How to Ramp Up Visibility and Build Clientele (May 2009) recorded webinar CLE
- For Non-CLE programs of interest see: www.nysba.org/LawyersinTransition
FINANCIALS / INVESTMENTS
- www.annualcreditreport.com- information on how to check your credit report for free
- ARTICLE: Company Pensions Are as Passé as Gold Watches, By Emily Brandon, U.S.News & World Report, June 11, 2007
- ARTICLE: How to Be Financially Prepared for Any Disaster, BottomLineSecrets.com
- ARTICLE: Make Your Money Last A Lifetime, Money Magazine, October 11, 2007
- ARTICLE: Do It Now: Are you on track for retirement?, By Walter Updegrave, Money Magazine senior editor, CNNMoney.com
- ARTICLE: Losing Sleep-Literally-Over the Future, In lieu of a lullaby, here are steps to take to ease those financial worries, By Emily Brandon, U.S. News & World Report, 6/3/07
- ARTICLE: Paper Records: What to Toss, What to Keep: You can deep-six most of your documents and go digital with the rest.| By Laura Cohn, Associate Editor | Kipplinger.com
- www.annualcreditreport.com- information on how to check your credit report for free
- cnnmoney.com/tools- calculate how much housing, food and expenses will be in a new town
- fidelity.com- Retirement Income planner (registration required)
- troweprice.com- T.Rowe Price's Retirement Income Calculator
- ImmediateAnnuities.com- research annuities
- www.scambusters.org/financialaidscams.html- Tips to Avoid Financial Aid Scams, a Census Scam and a Bank of America Phishing Scam, Scambustser.org
- www.hardtofind800numbers.com- Toll-free numbers
- NYSBA Member Benefits and Savings Programs(View listing of current benefits and programs)
- ARTICLE: Going Out-Of-Business Sales - Why you don't want to get there early and other strategies for the best deals, By Sue Goldstein, The Underground Shopper, Special from Bottom Line/Personal, April 15, 2009
- ARTICLE: Tricks of the Master Haggler Sue Goldstein, By Sue Goldstein, Underground Shopper.com, Special from Bottom Line/Wealth, September 1, 2008
- ARTICLE: 21 Secrets to Save on Travel - Our insider's guide to snagging the deepest discounts on hotels, airfare, cruises and more, By Stacy Rapacon, Reporter, Kiplinger's Personal Finance, September 2009
- ARTICLE: Senior Discounts Aren't Always the Best Deals for Retirees, U.S. News & World Report Article
How to get the best prices in 4 key areas
- Coupon Links:
http://www.mysavings.com/- free samples, coupons and more
http://print.coupons.com/couponweb/- may require sign-up
http://www.coolsavings.com/- may require sign-up
http://www.freecoupons.com/- may require sign-up
http://www.couponmom.com/- may require sign-up
http://www.Shaws.com- may require sign-up
http://www.coupons.com- may require sign-up
http://www.ShoppersVoice.com- may require sign-up
- Dietarysupplements.nlm.nih.gov- Dietary supplement database
- www.epicurious.com- Ultimate food guide
- nmfn.com- Northwestern Mutual's Longevity game - estimate your lifespan
- JOHNS HOPKINS HEALTH ALERTS!This free public service from Johns Hopkins Medicine helps keep you up to date on the latest breakthroughs for the most common medical conditions which prevent healthy aging
- ARTICLE: Simple steps may slow aging, Consumer Reports on Health, Volume 19 Number 4, April 2007 [subscription required]
Research suggesting better health habits keep you youthful
- ARTICLE: 'Behind the counter' meds, Consumer Reports on Health, Volume 19 Number 4, April 2007 [subscription required]
"...federal law that went into effect in September 2006. It requires customers to show identification and sign a log when they purchase cold medicients, such as Comtrex Day/Night Flue Therapy and Sudafed, and other products that include the common decongestant pseudoephedrine. Drugstores are keeping the medicines either in the pharmacy section or behind the cash register counter so they can collect the mandated information."
- ARTICLE: Breast cancer: A brighter outlook,Consumer Reports on Health, Volume 19 Number 4, April 2007, page 7 [subscription required]
"Studies suggest that discontinuing estrogen therapy may stop the growth of emerging breast tumors…." Simple steps to reduce risk include "regular moderate physical activity" and reducing red meat and fat consumption.
- ARTICLE: Wake-up call: fast, healthy breakfasts,Consumer Reports on Health, Volume 19 Number 4, April 2007, page 10 [subscription required]
Details the importance of breakfast and includes basic nutritional information such as a listing of high fiber cereals "General Mills Cheerios, General Mills Total, Post Original Shredded Wheat, Quaker Instant Oatmeal (regular flavor) and Weetabix" and suggestions for quick and tasty breakfasts.
- ARTICLE: Tip of the month-My favorite insomnia treatment is a glass of milk before bed. Does this really work?, Consumer Reports on Health, Volume 19 Number 4, April 2007, page 12 [subscription required]
"Milk contains the amino acid tryptophan, which the body converts into the sleep-promoting substance seotonin…. In contrast, complex carbs from whole grains may actually hinder sleep…."
- ARTICLE: OnYourMind (Q&A),Consumer Reports on Health, Volume 19 Number 4, April 2007, page 12 [subscription required] Contains a small note about a new drug varenicline (Chantix) which eases cigarett cravings "While the side effects reported for varenicline are relatively mild, the drug is too new to judge its safety definitively."
- ARTICLE: No Six-Packs Here, Please- Seniors looking to hit the gym now have options that go beyond battling it out with the hard bodies, By Betsy Streisand, 6/3/07
- ARTICLE: Bingo and patient back-up prove life enhancing, By Nicholas Timmins, Financial Times, 02-Jul-2008 Suggest that wellness "programmes pay for themselves, not just by improving health and reducing day to day medication, but by reducing the number of costly hospital stays."
- ARTICLE: Qualify for Life Insurance After Illness, Kiplinger's Retirement Report, Tuesday, August 1 2006
- VIDEO: Kiplinger Interview- Senior healthcare scams- Medicare Advantage
JOBS FOR RETIRED ATTORNEYS
- Career Transitions in a Volatile Market(Video recording of Annual Meeting program: January 26, 2009) To view the video go to http://www.totalwebcasting.com/live/nysbarand click on the "Career Transitions in a Volatile Market" tab at the left. Provides an overview of what you need to know when making a career transition in a volatile market
If you are looking to make a career change, leave your current job or transition back to the workforce after time away from the profession, click on the link above and learn more about the ethics of transitioning; resumes and cover letters; interviewing tips; maintaining a positive attitude; networking techniques for maximizing success and minimizing discomfort; and transitioning your career in general.
- ARTICLE: You're Not Ready to Quit Work? Then try out this top 10 list of jobs for the 60-plus set, By Marty Nemko, U.S.News & World Report, June 11, 2007
- Google Search for "part time jobs for retired lawyers"
- ARTICLE: Tips for Finding the Best Retirement Jobs, More retirement jobs will be available as employers need older workers, By Sharon O'Brien, About.com
- ARTICLE: Senior Living: Free Help Finding Employment, By Darlene Marie, hubpages.com
- ARTICLE: Tips for Finding the Best Retirement Jobs, newsunseo.com
PLANNING AHEAD GUIDE
The New York State Bar Association Planning Ahead Guide is provided to all attorneys as a courtesy of the New York State Bar Association and outlines the steps a lawyer must take to protect his or her clients in the event of a sudden inability to continue in practice.
PROTECTING YOURSELF & YOUR ASSETS
www.annualcreditreport.com- information on how to check your credit report for free
ARTICLE: Lost Cellphone? Your Carrier Has Your Backup , By Katherine Boehret, Wall Street Journal, 2/25/09
ARTICLE: Tricks to Keep Burglars Away From Your Home, Former jewel thief reveals his secrets, By Walter T. Shaw, Special from Bottom Line/Personal, September 15, 2008
ARTICLE: 6 Tips to Avoid Senior Scams, By Sharon O'Brien, About.com
ARTICLE: Tips to Avoid Financial Aid Scams, a Census Scam and a Bank of America Phishing Scam, Scambustser.org
ARTICLE: Avoid Phone & Mail Scams, Senior Brigade, A Michigan Seniors Initiative (PDF)
VIDEO: Kiplinger Interview-Senior healthcare scams - Medicare Advantage
PRO BONO PROJECTS
- ARTICLE: Do Your Research Before Buying,By Emily Brandon, U.S.News & World Report, June 11, 2007 Five key things to consider: Cost of Living; The Local Economy, Proximity to Home, Amenities, and Weather.
- BOOK: Residence Options for Older and Disabled Clients, Lawrence A. Frolik, American Bar Association
- ARTICLE: Choosing Senior Housing and Residential Care, assisted living, board / care homes, and nursing homes, Helpguide.org
- ARTICLE: Retirement: The End or the Beginning?(PDF), by Walter T. Burke and Timothy E. Casserly. This article originally appeared in the July/August 2011 edition of the NYSBA Journal and is used by permission (members only).
- ARTICLE: Information to Act On, Kiplinger's Retirement Report, June 2008 Great tips on Economy, Investing, Taxes, Social Security, Legislation for Seniors, Consumer Information including an online resource to help guard against scams, Health care, housing, travel and more.
- ARTICLE: Beyond the Nest Egg: What to Ask Yourself About Retirement, Key Questions Include: Go to Work or Not? Relocate or Stay Put?, By Glenn Ruffenach and Kelly Greene, The Wall Street Journal, June 7, 2007 (or as a PDF) Note: includes a small chart of Web sites that match older workers with employers
- ARTICLE: 100 Best Retirement and Finance Guides for Seniors, Posted in Financial Tips, Senior Living by Site Administrator, October 28, 2008
SENIORS - MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS
- Hertz and Avis car rental discounts for NYSBA Members: go to | http://www.nysba.org/MemberBenefits[member login required for discount codes]
- Cruise planning (includes revies of lines and ships)
Find the best senior travel discounts. Get cheap plane tickets, AARP discounts, luxury cruise deals, senior tours, and single travel deals.
- ARTICLE:The Contrarian Traveler - Rental-Car Relief, Six ways to save money—from gas to taxes, By Peter Greenberg, AARP The Magazine, September & October 2008
- ARTICLE: Find Great Travel Bargains On-Line in Five Simple Steps, By Sandy Berger, Computer Living Corp., Special from Bottom Line/Retirement, September 1, 2008
- ARTICLE: 10 Bargain Retirement Spots-There's nothing chintzy about these lower-cost locales, By Emily Brandon, U.S. News & World Report, 6/3/07