The New York State Bar Association's Lawyer Assistance Program provides several important services to the legal community across upstate New York (north of Westchester County). The LAP provides:
- voluntary monitoring services for attorneys facing grievance procedures and for those that are court ordered.
- a helpline: 800.255.0569. It is staffed during normal business hours and monitored after hours. The helpline provides general assistance and referrals for therapists, treatment, support groups, and peer support.
- CLE and educational speakers, materials, and resources that can be incorporated into existing programming or as presented as stand alone programming.
- peer support from experienced volunteers.
- materials and assistance to local bars and groups wishing to start up local Lawyers Helping Lawyers groups.
- outreach to local and specialty bars, legal organization, firms, law schools, and legal organizations on topics such as substance use, mental health and attorney wellness.
- the home program for the Lawyer Assistance Committee, the Judicial Wellness Committee, and the local Capital District Lawyers Helping Lawyers group.